Friday, April 12, 2013

Technology Integration Matrix

 

    We are currently looking at the Technology Integration Matrix in my online learning class. The matrix is a little overwhelming to look at, at first. The hardest thing is to figure out is the differences between each box of the matrix. The terminology only slightly varied in each group. If you are interested in seeing where you belong on the Technology Integration Matrix, go to the following website: 

http://fcit.usf.edu/matrix/matrix.php

 

    After clicking through descriptions and watching sample lesson plans, I would rate myself as "collaborative-adoptive." Honestly, this surprises me because I always thought I was a teacher who used technology creatively; however, after really looking at the definitions, I think I stopped growing on the matrix a couple years ago.

 

 (see website for full matrix)

 

     "Collaborative - Adoptive" is characterized by using tools collaboratively, but in a conventional way. I choose which tools the students use (such as e-mail, PowerPoint, etc), and they have a limited access to even that. Some of this is due to my students' lack of access to technology at school and at home, but some of it can certainly be put on my lack of pushing. I believe I stopped growing in the matrix because I was using technology more than most teachers at my school, and I didn't feel compelled to try past that. Looking at the possibilites that techology provides has made me realize that I can't stop moving forward, just because other people have.

 

     By the end of the year, I think it is reasonable for me to reach the "Collaborative - Adaptive" box of the matrix. There isn't a huge difference between this and where I'm at now. The main difference is the addition of student independence. "Collaborative - Adaptive" allows student choice in some things. The teacher still selects the tools, but students choose how to use them and can use them independently.

 

   I plan on getting to this next stage by using "My Big Campus." I've mentioned this site a couple times, but it allows my students to collaborate with each other, give and receive feedback, and turn in assignments. I've just started using this site, so I'm having a bit of trial and error, but I am already seeing the independence the students can have that comes inherently with the site. I am providing the tool, but they are choosing how to use it. I plan on using this site, not as a novelty, but as an actual instrument for creative and independent learning. I need to improve my lessons by making them student driven, rather than the traditional quiz or writing assignment to submit. I am looking in to having my students create "bundles" on the site. Bundles are groups of pictures, websites, videos, etc. that my students can put together in one place. Other students, even other schools, can access these student created bundles. Utilizing this tool will be my first big step towards this new direction.

 

     Using the Technology Integration Matrix is helpful in giving one an honest look at where they fall in using technology in the classroom. It can not only show you where you are, but also show you where you can be with some work. 


2 comments:

  1. I love your statement, "I plan on using this site, not as a novelty, but as an actual instrument for creative and independent learning." A lot of teachers start using MBC (and similar things) in a novelty sort of way - to get the students used to the tool and give them time to learn more about it. But I think that this sometimes creates a difficult situation of trying to move students (and the teacher themselves) past that point later on. If you use the tool the way it should be used from the very start, that's the expectation and the students will rise to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great reflection. I can tell you really examined your practices, which can be really tough for some people to do. Thanks for sharing with us so honestly.

    ReplyDelete